Monday, May 11, 2009

Boaz Shuval's Origami Butterfly

Here is the diagram for Boaz Shuval's simple butterfly. It can be made flat, so it would work for the Holocaust Museum Houston's "The Butterfly Project," described in an earlier blog (just scroll down this page a little). It is so simple that it can be made by children to contribute to The Butterfly Project. 

John Andrisan has modified this model so it is the same color on both wings. What he does is make the piece of paper 1 x 2 (tear a square in half) and fold it (back into a square) so there is colored paper on both sides. John says the extra thickness makes no difference. Alternatively, paper the same color on both sides could be used, e.g. colored bond paper cut into a square.

Regarding flatness, apparently Boaz bends the butterfly a little so it looks a bit three-dimensional. John's version, on the other hand, is flat. So the butterfly can be made either flat or three-dimensional.

Additional note: Kim's Crane has a wide range of square origami paper with both sides the same color.  The way to find ordinary two-sided same-color paper is: go to http://origamipapersandbooks.com/ then type into the "quick find" box the following code: ac11y.  She also has washi the same on both sides. It is difficult to find at the website, so write to me and I will send you the links. 

Another note: Apparently the museum is happy to have origami butterflies, three dimensional or not! 

3 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

Hello Candice, I just wanted to let you know that I have posted about this "Butterfly Project" in the forums of both of my Etsy teams, the Etsy Hookers and the Etsy Honey Bee Helpers teams. I have also provided a link to the Holocaust Museum in Houston with all the information.
I will crochet some butterflies and send them in as well and will also share this information with my friends in my address book.

Unknown said...

Wow! That's incredible! Thank you!

Candice

Doris Sturm said...

Candice,

I'm having a Poetry Challenge Giveaway on my blog, please come and look:

http://crochetingingeorgia.blogspot.com

Deadline to enter is my birthday, June 16th...hope you can join!

I'm giving away stuff from my shops and free shipping!