Friday, December 26, 2008

Somebody compromised my PayPal Account!

So, Wednesday I go to my online banking site, and see that there are three PayPal deductions, totaling about $700.  I didn't buy anything with PayPal, let alone spend $700.  As PayPal put it, somebody compromised my PayPal account.  What a mess.  PayPal says that the stuff won't be shipped to this guy in Colorado (he bought stuff for a Chevy and a Pontiac and a Walmart gift card -- I have a Saab and don't shop at Walmart).  I have to wait 10 days for an investigation to finish before I get my money back.  In the meantime, my PayPal account is locked, and I had to go to the bank to prevent any further withdrawals from PayPal for the time being.  In addition, I had to cancel my debit card.  All this takes time.  In the meantime, I have to write checks or use my Chase Visa, which has a limit on it.   I think I will just get some cash at the bank and pay for everything with cash for a couple weeks.   I had to ask for my maintenance check early to cover the debits, but I need to pay my rent on the first, and I don't know if the investigation will be done by then.  I really need that money!

I got a spyware program which I ran, and discovered two viruses my virus program hadn't caught.  I've only had this hard drive for a few days, so somebody acted fast.   I am glad I got the spyware program (called Stopzilla).  I've also been going to every site I can think of where I have a password and am changing it.

This has all been a big hassle, but luckily it was caught in time.  This guy, whomever he is, is going to have some explaining to do to somebody.

No comments: